Saturday, July 25, 2015

GSoC Week 8 and 9

These two weeks me and Ondrej started adding support for different compilers.

I added support for MinGW and MinGW-w64. There were some documented, but not yet fixed bugs in MinGW that I encountered. When including cmath, there were errors saying `_hypot` not defined, and `off64_t` not defied. I added flags `-D_hypot=hypot -Doff64_t=_off64_t` to fix this temporarily. With that symengine was successfully built.

For python wrappers in windows, after building there was a wrapper not found error which was the result of not having the extension name as pyd in windows. Another problem faced was that, python distribution's `libpython27.a` for x64 was compiled for 32 bit architecture and there were linking errors. I found some patched files at http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#libpython and python wrappers were built successfully. Also added continuous integration for MinGW using appveyor.

With MinGW, to install gmp all you had to do was run the command `mingw-get install mingw32-gmp`. For MinGW-w64, I had to compile gmp. For this appveyor came in handy. I started a build in appveyor, stopped it and then logged into the appveyor machine remotely using `remmina` (Each VM was shutdown after 40 minutes. Within that 40 minutes you can login and debug the building). I compiled gmp using msys and mingw-w64 and then downloaded them to my machine. For appveyor runs, these pre-compiled binaries of gmp were used to test MinGW-w64

Ondrej and I worked together to make sure SymEngine could be built using MSVC in Debug mode. Since gmp couldn't be used out of the box in MSVC, we used MPIR project's sources which included visual studio project files. MPIR is a fork of GMP and provides MSVC support. We used it to build SymEngine in MSVC. Later I added support for Release mode and also added continuous integration for both build types and platform types.

Python extension can also be built with MSVC. We are testing the Python extensions in Release mode only right now, because appveyor has only python release mode libraries and therefore when building the extension in Debug mode it gives an error saying python27_d.lib is not found.

I also improved the wrappers for Matrix by adding `__getitem__` and `__setitem__` so that the matrices can be used easily in Python.

Another improvement to SymEngine was the automatic simplification of expressions like `0.0*x` and `x**0.0`. These expressions are not simplified more in master, so I 'm proposing a patch to simplify them to `0.0` and `1.0` respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment